Who Is the Tinder Swindler? Is It Based On A Real Story?
The Tinder Swindler is a true-crime documentary film made by Felicity Morris that was published on Netflix on February 2, 2022. The film chronicles the story of Israeli conman Simon Leviev (born Shimon Hayut), who used the dating app Tinder to meet people who he then emotionally persuaded into financially supporting his lavish lifestyle on the premise that he needed the money to flee his “enemies.”
Simon Leviev used the famous online dating app Tinder to defraud people for millions of dollars.
The Tinder Swindler, a two-hour film that premiered on Feb. 2, is based on the true story of a serial con artist who duped an estimated $10 million from women he met on the popular dating app Tinder. The swindler was widely identified as Simon Leviev, who claimed to work in a dangerous diamond company and was the son of billionaire Israeli diamond tycoon Lev Leviev.
Cecilie Fjellhy, Pernilla Sjöholm, and Ayleen Charlotte — three of the numerous women who fell prey to the Tinder trickster — tell their stunning and painful stories in the scandal-based documentary. Fjellhy recalls her first date with Leviev, who flew her out on a private plane from London to Bulgaria for one night in January 2018. (a relationship that ended in deceit, debt, and distress). The fraudster’s scheme, however, did not begin there.
The Tinder Swindler isn’t the only true crime film about a con artist that has hit Netflix this year. The Puppet Master: Hunting the Ultimate Conman debuted on Jan. 18, and Shonda Rhimes’ new crime series Inventing Anna, based on true events, will air on Feb. 11. Continue reading to learn more about Simon Leviev, the Tinder Swindler, including the crimes he committed, where he is now, and everything in between.
About Simon Leviv
Simon Leviev (Hebrew: born Shimon Yehuda Hayut, September 27, 1990) is an Israeli con artist who was convicted of theft, forgery, and fraud. Leviev (born Shimon Hayut) is the subject of a two-hour Netflix documentary accusing him of defrauding women he met on Tinder for an estimated $10 million.
Cecilie Fjellhy, Pernilla Sjöholm, and Ayleen Charlotte, three of the women, said in interviews that he claimed to be the son of Israeli millionaire Lev Leviev and lied about his work and riches to gain their trust before defrauding them out of hundreds of thousands of dollars.
He was sentenced to 15 months in prison in December 2019 after being found guilty of fraud, theft, and forgery, but he was freed five months later on good behavior. Leviev returned to Tinder following his release, but he was (eventually) banned from the dating service this month when the Netflix documentary aired.
Leviev, on the other hand, is pressing down on his claim that he is not a serial con artist. During the interview, he claims, “I’m not a Tinder con artist.” “I was just a single man on Tinder looking to meet some girls.” “I am not this monstrosity.”
Is Simon Leviev off from Tinder?
Leviev has been removed from Tinder as of Friday, February 25. Tinder claimed in a statement to Variety, “We have done internal checks and can confirm Simon Leviev is no longer active on Tinder under any of his known aliases.”
Despite being banned from the dating site, Leviev continues to be active on Instagram, where he has over 200,000 followers. Leviev said on his Instagram Tale on the same day he was blacklisted from Tinder that he was planning to present his version of the story — but later withdrew the post later that afternoon. Tinder updated new restrictions the day before the documentary was broadcast, titled “Romance Scams: How to Protect Yourself Online,” highlighting that scammers use the app to prey on “weak” people “searching for love,” according to The Washington Post.
Did the woman who had been robbed receive her money back?
While the video said that many women were victims of Leviev’s swindling, the three women who chose to speak out for the documentary stated that they were tricked out of thousands of dollars and have never been returned, and are still in debt.
“All we want is our life back,” Cecilie Fjellhy, Pernilla Sjöholm, and Ayleen Charlotte wrote on a GoFundMe website. Because phony pages have been made in their names, Fjellhy released a video of herself to prove that the most recent page is legitimate. Since the page was started on Feb. 6, 855 people have donated, bringing the total raised to approximately $27,000, well short of the $800,000 objective.
For more updates, keep reading – pelhamplus.com